Thursday, August 16, 2012

Savory Pumpkin Sage Muffins



The weather drops down to a "chilly" 72 degrees, and all of a sudden I think it's Fall? I know, I know, I'm jumping the gun!

But, that doesn't change the fact that I was really craving pumpkin. I wanted to make something a little different, but still simple. My goal was to eat pumpkin, not spending an entire evening bonding with it while I tried to cook something with it! After a little bit of time searching the internet, I found something that I had never even thought existed before - A recipe for a savory muffin.

The recipe I pretty much followed calls for a whole quarter cup of chopped fresh sage. It sounded like a lot, but it is just right. I used some fresh Golden Sage from my herb garden. Its flavor is really light and almost lemony. I suspect if you use more traditional sage, the flavor will come out much stronger.

Looking at the ingredients, and not seeing any liquid except for some olive oil, I was afraid these would be super heavy. Happy to say, I was wrong! These are light, and very moist. They also go great with corn chowder!

Here is the recipe I followed pretty much: Pumpkin and Sage Savory Muffins

And here it is with a few minor tweaks that I made
  • 1 cup Whole wheat pastry flour (whole wheat flour is A-OK, too!)
  • ½ cup Rolled oats
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 1tsp Baking soda
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • ¼ cup Fresh Sage, chopped
  • 2 cup pumpkin puree (if you use fresh pumpkin, cook and puree first)
  • 1/8 cup Olive oil
  • 1/8 cup Unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
Preheat your oven to 320 degrees.

Mix the dry ingredients, then add the sage,  pumpkin puree, olive oil, applesauce, and vinegar. Mix enough, but not too much.

Scoop into a muffin tray, and bake for 30-35 minutes. They're finished when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


This made 10 smallish muffins for me. Depending on how big you want them, you could get a dozen, or go bigger and maybe 6 regular size muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment