Monday, May 28, 2012

Hello, Scones!


I don't know why I even bother to put away my baking sheets. I've used them more since I started eating green than I ever did before! Broiled tofu, roasted just-about-any vegetable, baked tempeh, and oh yes oh yes - bakery!

Saturday was a nice, lazy day, so I felt like branching out from my usual weekend hash. Poking around www.theppk.com where I pillage so many recipes from, I found a recipe for Ginger Chocolate scones.

This recipe is easy, and makes spicy, sweet, fluffy scones that I'm pretty sure could get invited to the next royal wedding. These are very forgiving, very easy, perfect when you don't really want to work too hard. Don't over think it, just let it all work itself out!









The original recipe is here, and here's my final recipe:

3 cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger (I used 1 TB fresh grated)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch allspice
1/3 cup agave
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I'm trying applesauce next time, save some fat)
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
About 5 ounces non-dairy chocolate chips
About 1 cup chopped up walnuts


Preheat your oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or (like I did) use parchment paper.

Put all the dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl. Swoosh them around a little with a fork just to introduce them all to each other.

Add your wet ingredients; mix it all up with a fork. Don’t over do it, these are nice, laid back treats.

Finally, easily fold in the chocolate chunks and walnuts.

Grease up a quarter up measuring cup, or a huge spoon, or you could even use your hands. Drop scoops of dough onto your baking sheet. Don’t make them fancy. Don’t worry if they seem crowded.

Bake for 15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment