Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Savory Rice Griddle Cakes with Basil and Pistachios



Oh my, I need a shorter name for this recipe! But I'm so psyched about it, I'm more into eating it and telling you about it than I am coming up with a snappy name - for now. I do love a clever name.

I woke up this morning craving waffles, big time. But then, as I started looking at what I had on hand, I veered way off the waffle course. Happily off course though, because these are delicious.

The main part of this dish is rice. I had a pot of leftover cooked rice. It's a short grained brown rice, so it's fairly sticky to start with. When I originally cooked it, I lightly seasoned it with a little garlic powder and turmeric. This recipe comes together fast, too. Bonus on a work day.

I can already think of variations I want to try.
  • No nuts
  • Different nuts, seeds - walnuts, pumpkin seeds
  • Different herbs, spices - sage, ginger
  • No oil
I ate these for breakfast, but I can see them working at any meal.

Here's my initial recipe for these savory, warm, fresh, and a little crunchy griddle cakes!

1 1/2 cups cooked Rice (I suspect short grained sticky rice is best)
1 TB Nutritional Yeast
1 TB chopped fresh Basil
2 TBS chopped roasted salted Pistachios
Egg Replacement - 2 eggs worth (I think a one egg portion would work)
1 tsp. Canola oil

Heat up a skillet (cast iron, if you have it), oil very lightly.

Mix all the ingredients together. Drop a mixing spoon full of rice onto the hot griddle, flatten it a little with a spatula or fork. You can also shape into patties of about 2 TBS of rice each. They would look less freeform.

Patience. Let these get brown and crispy on one side before you flip them. I am not patient and flipped these too often. It got messy and probably took longer then it needed to.

If you try this and come up with any tweaks that you like, let me know. I'd love to hear about them!





1 comment: