Monday, June 25, 2012

Soup and Sushi on a Hot Day


I started this blog post trying to write this romantic story about my trip to an Asian market here in Cleveland, and how I spent over an hour walking around, studying exotic jars, cans, packages, etc... While that story is true, this dinner was actually inspired by something far less ethereal.

My husband's birthday was recently (He writes the Seen Getting Lean posts), and we tried to go out to dinner. Usually we've been doing a good job of picking restaurants that have decent food, and making good choices about what to eat. If it's a "cheat meal", we make darned sure it's worth it.

Well, through lack of planning, a few little crises at home, and letting ourselves get way too hungry, we ended up eating just flat out really badly. Fried shrimp, french fries, foods in cream sauces, foods with butter... I haven't consciously had cream or butter in almost four months, too. It wasn't even especially good food, we just crashed.

That night, and well into the next day, I felt terrible. Sluggish, crabby, tired, hungover. That dinner was an in-my-face reminder of how I felt a lot of the time when I ate that way.

That's the backstory. Bad meal. Felt like crap. Moved on to this....

I made some quick stock with dried mushrooms and sauteed carrots, onions, garlic, and bok choy. The soup is simply that stock, a few noodles, more bok choy, carrots, and diced tofu. Oh and a bit of white miso added at the end. I heard if you boil it, you lose the nutritional benefits of miso, and this meal was all about trying to be healthy!

The sushi may not be the fanciest around, but it was definitely fresh and good. Grilled salmon, a little vegan mayo with some Sriracha sauce, and a few veggies.

Cheaper, fresher, and definitely more nutritious than the meal that inspired it. I appreciate that we fell a little off the wagon once, and saw that for what it was - one meal. One reminder that eating green is fun, AND makes me feel good!



No comments:

Post a Comment