Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Seen Getting Lean: Common Mistakes Part 2

Last week, Tom (my NSCA certified Personal Trainer husband) started answering the question "What common mistakes do people make when starting an exercise program?" by telling us how important it is to include strength training. This week, he digs more into the question by talking about how much weight to use. So now.... here's Tom!

Part 2 - Choosing an improper amount of weight to do an exercise.

Most people go too light (although too heavy is equally as bad). You have to fatigue the muscle in order to get any benefit. You also want good form. So, you need a weight that will allow you to perform within a certain repetition range. Fatigue is when your form breaks down or you simply can't do any more reps.

An example would be if my goal in fitness was weight loss and and toning. I want to fatigue within 15-20 reps (this would be endurance). If I pick up three pound dumbbells and do 15 bicep curls but could perform 10 more with good form, I haven't challenged my muscles. I have wasted my time. I would be much better off grabbing 15 or 20 pound dumbbells and doing the same exercise to fatigue.

Let's say with those heavier dumbbells, I manage 17 or 18 reps before I just can't do any more. That is the proper weight for that exercise and goal.

Hopefully that clears up the question about how much weight to use. Next week, Part 3: Cardio Intensity.

Keep those questions coming, and stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment